 General / 25959
Re: A LEGO Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 18:15:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Sandlin writes:

To me, a good collection is one that has a variety of parts so that you can
build things you enjoy.

I agree completely.

I never got into the whole "(theme) Complete" idea.

Hmm.  I get it on a visceral level- I have, at various times in my life,
collected other things, so I know that having a complete set of something has a
certain satisfaction to it.

What I've never understood is collecting for the sake of collecting.  Buying
action figures and not removing them from the card, buying a LEGO set and never
removing it from the shrink-wrap, that kind of nonsense[1].  If I find myself
going after an old set, it's usually to get pieces I couldn't get elsewhere
(boat hulls, Shakoes, pieces printed with unusual designs, pieces not currently
produced in a particular color, etc).  But I can imagine realising at a certain
point that I only needed a given couple of sets to be, say, Pirate complete,
and hunting them down.  I'm having a hard time currently not buying Watto's
Junk Shop simply because it's the only System Star Wars set I don't have.

It's about the building.

Ayuh, that's true.

Word to your minifig.

Oh, yeah, and some sets have certain minifigs you can't get elsewhere.  That's
a big one for me.  Pirate and forest wenches, the Pirate with the brown vest,
etc.  All important.

eric

[1]I have to cop to buying extra copies of some promo sets to save for later
trade fodder- those I don't open, although it's hard not to sometimes.