 General / 25972
Re: eBay LEGO sales just amaze me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 20:00:37 GMT

I buy and sell on ebay (mostly buy)~ The ONLY things I buy on ebay are old
sets that I cannot get anywhere else, or lots of parts from big sets (that
you would have to get 8 $70 sets from).  I am selling a few of the shell
promo sets on ebay - I put the price at or below the price I paid for it, I
am not trying to make a profit - just to give others the opportunity to get
them.  I see others start bidding for a $5 set for $19.99 with a BIN price
of $35 - FOR A $5 SET! I am happy because one of the sets is going to the
winners nephew as a surprise.  So I know it will be opened and played with -
that is what I want, not for them to stay locked up in the box (did you see
toy story 2, lol)

It may be that it's just hard to find in certain areas of the country. Many
of last year's models sold for above market price when they were new as
well.

Personally, I just wait til it hits my store, but some folks just gotta buy
them now.

If I can buy it in the store then it better be WAY below the price I can get
it from the toys r us that is only 3 miles from my house (and this includes
shipping)!  I was lucky to get a paradisa moterboat for one cent, add
shipping on and it cost me $4.00 - but thats ok to me - because I can not
buy it in stores.  Plus - if it is in the stores, then it will probally go
on sale sooner of later (ie set 6013, samuri swordsman on sale for 0.99 at -
down from $4)

Given that some Star Wars figs are nearly impossible
to find on the shelves for their entire production life, it's not necessarily
an unfathomable reaction.

But from what I understand, the figures were grossly underproduced in the
start - not the situation today, but still.  I used to collect them - this
is way different form the legos, ANY footwork into this would show many of
the sets at any toystore.

On the other hand, caveat emptor.  Anyone buying in a secondhand market needs
to learm to really research the value of anything before they buy it, or
they're going to get horribly burned at some point.  If they don't have common
sense enough to follow this rather obvious thought, or if they are just too
lazy to do the work, then more power to the auctioneer.

I could not have put this any better - you have to do your homework - be it
buying online, or in the store!!  If you buy it in a store you can always
return it if you see it on sale at another store - not the fact on ebay.