 General / 25686
Re: It's Alive! or, Building The Dinosaur
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:27:47 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Heather Patey writes:
For Christmas I received a MIB copy of <set:8485>, the Technic Control Center
II, and have built the Tyrannosaurus Rex, the second alternate model; I have
posted to Brickshelf some pictures of it being built.  Warning: it contains the
odd blurry shot as well as some really sloppy stop-motion sequences.  But it's
not Art for Art's Sake, just a record of my experience building it.  It was a
real challenge for me, a usually non-Technic person, and I'm delighted with a
Technic set that for once doesn't build a vehicle - as flashy as they may be,
simulation of something alive is a whole different ballgame and TLC has
excelled in this design.  I'm really delighted with this set, and hope you find
this photo collection enlightening if you're not already familiar with the
model.  Here are some facts and figures:

Pieces in entire set: 1063
Pieces used: about 90% (the last pic shows pieces left over, I didn't count
them)
Motors: 3
Flex cables: 6
4x2x4 Gearboxes:2
Worm gears:3
Batteries in control box: 6 'C's

Size, including control box: 10" wide x 14" high x 22" long
Scale: about 1 inch = 2 feet, or 2-3x minifig scale

Motion:
Tilts head up and tail down, and vice versa upon reversal of motor
Swings head and tail back and forth (continuous loop)
Moves head forward and back while opening and closing jaws, while moving claws
back and forth (continuous loop)

Time to build: ~7 hours over a 24-hour period, with constant interruption
Number of pics originally taken: >110
Camera batteries used up: 4 sets of 4 AA's

Mistakes made: at least 8
Mistakes that required disassembly: 1 (forgot to put rubber band around motor
shaft under tail, see pic 20!)
Pieces dropped on floor: 2
Pieces lost: 0, thankfully
Sore fingers: 10
Sore back: 1
Tired eyes: 2
Fun, challenge, and education about Technic techniques: Immeasurable

The URL: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=2475

Cheers, Heather
--
Heather Patey
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Wow...that looks really neat...increased my expectations quite a bit. I won
one off an auction a week ago and am waiting for it to arrive any day now...

Thanks for the pictures...now I can have something to look at and admire
while I wait :-)

BTW did you use the 6 C batteries or the included transformer to power the
model? I would like to use the transformer when I recieve it but this one is
coming from Europe and the 220V transformer isn't compatible with the 110V
outlets in the US. Can one buy some sort of voltage converter for this?