 Technic / 3487
Re: It's Alive! or, Building The Dinosaur
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 07:03:29 GMT

The jack says "9-12V" next to it.  The plug for the adapter looks like any
ordinary adapter.  The adapter says on it:
PRI: 230V - 50 Hz
SEC: 10V - 7 VA

Great! It's just like a Mindstorms jack. There is also a "~" symbol next
to the 9-12V marking, which means you can supply any polarity you like.
They do, after all, have to make it kid-proof!

I'd recommend RadioShack 273-1656A. It's a 9V 800mA adapter and I use it
for Mindstorms work all the time. The older motors used more current under
heavy load, so it's worth a couple of extra bucks for an 800mA unit.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

Please BEWARE! any device that is meant for AC voltage will work with DC but
at a risk of burning out the diodes in the rectifying bridge with too much
current. The wallwart it comes with supplies about 1300 mA AC which
alternates at 60Hz thru the bridge. When using DC thru a bridge, only two
diodes get used, and both see much higher strain due to being constantly
pumped with 800 mA. Therefore, more likely to burn out. To be safe, Use a DC
wall wart with Half the capacity of the original AC one. (About 600 to 700 mA.)

When the search function returns, check lugnet.robotics for the keywords
RCX, Polarity, External, and/or AC, DC

Regards,

--Electro--

Certified by ISCET