 General / 2486
Re: 20 year evolution to get to... where we started
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 01:59:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, john_vanzwieten@msn.com (John VanZwieten) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, LongJR97@hotmail.com (Jesse Long) writes:
Colin wrote in message ...
To truely see how lego has evolved over the last 20 years compare the
following two sets:

#889 - http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=889
and
#6463 - http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6463

All I can say is: The more things change, the more they stay the same :-)

I'd take the 889 over the 6463 any day.

Ho hoo!  That's it!  That's the set that 6463 reminded me of, but I couldn't
put a mental finger on it.  The prices are interesting to compare, BTW --
this year's 6463 costs $3.99 for 35 pieces (11.4 cents/piece) and 889 from
20 years earlier cost (I -think-) $1.99 for 25 pieces (8 cents/piece).  Is
40% inflation about right for 20 years elapsed time?  (Not that a price-per-
piece comparison is as meaningful as play value...)

The 40% inflation is actually low.  A 3.5% annual rate of inflation would
cause a doubling of the price over 20 years.  Considering the last 20 years
includes 1979,80,81 with double digit inflation rates, I'm sure the average is
over 3.5%.

I wish I knew more about the CPI (Consumer Price Index) or whatever it is
that tracks inflation across industries.  It's interesting that gasoline
prices in the U.S. are less today than they were 15 years ago, while the
prices of breakfast cereals have skyrocketed.

Anyway, if the price-per-piece of LEGO sets has only gone up by, say, 50%
overall in the past 20 years, while staple things like food, housing,
transportation, entertainment, etc. have gone up by 100% (doubled), it means
that the price of LEGO has dropped in the past 20 years.  I did a sampling
about a year of various sets...  Although there are big air-filled boxes
like the Adventurers base and monorail sets, I think overall, it's silly to
complain that the price of LEGO has gone up.  I think it's actually gone
down (which is bad for TLG).

--Todd