 General / 24426
Re: Blashemy? - Repairing LEGO Bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:37:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Richard W. Schamus writes:
I've been doing mod's for
year, mostly just removing things that I don't like, but haven't found the
right "glue" to make something new out of other pieces, or repair some
actualy breakage of parts, (older plates edge cracking, craking in the
middle, etc.)

I believe that both Legoland Carlsbad and Eric Harshbarger use Oatey
General Purpose plastic cement. The fumes are bad, but it will definitely do
the trick.

If you're trying to create a Lego ABS plastic "paste" you might consider
sacrificing several small elements (1x1 plates) by putting them into a sealed
container of Oatey, letting them dissolve into the solvent over time. The
smaller you can get the pieces, the quicker they will dissolve, so I use a
jeweler's saw (DANGEROUS! Consists of a jig and a razor sharp thread!) to break
the pieces down. I have used this method to recreate a rare element using a
home-made mold, but the results were not as great as I had hoped. I had to add
the paste to the mold in layers and let each layer dry before adding the next.
The resulting piece had a fair amount of flash that had to be removed (cut,
sanded, polished), and the color was lighter than original.

That paste might also be used to bridge pieces that previously were unattached,
like adding a ball-joint to the end of a Technic cross axle, etc.

Hope this helps...

- Sean