 General / 23354
Re: Cutting baseplates (Was: Green plate sizes?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:45:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Will Hess writes:
I must admit that I have cut a few straight road plates in half. How have • you
done it? I used an exacto knife, but had trouble cutting in a straight • line
despite using a ruler. Also, Do you cut from the top side or the bottom?

Patience.  Clamp the plate and ruler together and make many (MANY!) light
cuts along the surface of the plate (1).  This takes a while but it works!

I haven't tried, but you should be able to get a nice clean edge by scoring
with a knife (one pass) and then snapping. If done right, you don't break
either piece. You also shouldn't feel bad about cutting base plates. In just a
brief look at my baseplates, I find an 8x16 baseplate which TLC has cut to
size, and a 16x24. The 16x16 and 16x32 baseplates appear to not be cut so I
would guess that TLC has molds for 16x16, 16x32, 32x32, and 48x48 flat
baseplates (plus of course all the raised baseplates).

Frank