 General / 23347
Re: Cutting baseplates (Was: Green plate sizes?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 02:54:07 GMT

Ooh. I have to admit I'm not very good at those cuts. Exacto would take forever
and wear out your blade I think. I just use scissors. Let us know if you hit on
any other sharp solutions.

One tip: put a brick on the plate and try to cut at a slant along the brick
edge. Chews up the brick of course. I can only go about 10 studs with the
scissors before the plate jams up the scissors. I'm resigned to getting one
good edge and not using the material on the other side of the cut.

I tried a hacksaw. Not sharp enough. I bet a Dremel (jigsaw) would be good--
those have a plastic spring-loaded clip that holds down the thing you want to
cut through. THAT was my favorite tool in the shed when I was a kid.

Application: I built a house on a 16x32 baseplate. It has 3 stories but right
now there are only tiny plates jutting out on the inside where the floors would
be. I plan to cut a baseplate to fit exactly into the (odd) contours of the
interior. It would be impossible to do it with multiple small plates.