 General / 22708
Re: When did "seeding" begin?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 03:00:56 GMT

James Powell wrote:

We may not like it but I imagine from the TLC perspective there is a very good
reason for it. I would speculate it has something to do with evening out the
quantity of resin (of various colors) consumed from year to year so that there
aren't big spikes in storage and spikes in price to TLC for the raw materials.

I think it might be more to do with the counting machines, than the
molding/colour use.  It's easier to pick up a mistake of 2 blue/4 black than 6
black of a piece in the same bag, as well, I know there are physical limits as
to how many of each piece a machine can pack into a single polybag.

James

Most of the error checking was done by weight, and, without any inside
knowledge, I would presume that the baggies and sets are still checked by
weight. The PVC trays were checked by a video camera, which was kinda cool. If
you left out a piece the computer would spit the tray of the line because it
could see that the tray was missing a piece.

Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.