 General / 22656
Re: When did "seeding" begin?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 05:23:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Johann writes:
From my knowledge, it's a recent occurance. I can't think of any sets that • came
out more than 2 years ago that have this problem. Many of my sets from more • than
2 years ago seem to be exempt. UFO and Exploriens come to mind as 'safe' sets • to
work with. Fright Knights, Wild West, and certain older town sets ring a bell • as
well. Even Rock Raiders seem to be exempt (of the sets I own). Some recent • sets
seem to have the occasional hidden piece, but not to the degree we are seeing
now. Some themes that seem to be suffering from this 'problem':
Ninja, Insectoids, Star Wars (the most visible one)

I'm not sure it's a recent thing, actually. Model team sets have had bricks
buried in the middle of models that were not the expected color... both 5561
and 5571 have blue bricks buried in them IIRC.

We may not like it but I imagine from the TLC perspective there is a very good
reason for it. I would speculate it has something to do with evening out the
quantity of resin (of various colors) consumed from year to year so that there
aren't big spikes in storage and spikes in price to TLC for the raw materials.

++Lar