 General / 22709
22708  |  22710
Subject:
Reducing fussiness in automated password appraisal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.people, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 07:25:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Many people feel that the Member password checks on LUGNET are overly
stringent -- that it is too hard to come up with a good password that
passes the strength appraisal:

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/pwsa/

and is also comfortable to remember.

In anticipation of lowering the fussiness level of the strength appraisal,
the webserver has gotten a bit smarter about detecting and denying pw
attacks and that sort of thing.

Here then is a new automated password appraisal tool (a candidate to
replace the current one):

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/pwsa2/

Give it a whirl, lemme know what you think.  I think you'll find it's a lot
more lenient.  (I hope it's not too lenient.)

The big thing to remember here:  an appraisal of "Adequate" is something
that passes -- but just barely.  Thus, it's not recommended that you use it,
but you CAN use it if you Really Want To.  Obviously, shooting for an
appraisal of "Good," "Great," "Excellent," etc., is what's recommended.

BTW, if you happen to run the same pw through both analyzers (old and new),
note that the two use different number systems, so comparing the raw numbers
isn't much use.

--Todd