 Administrative / General / 7853
Re: Reducing fussiness in automated password appraisal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 05:42:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/pwsa2/
Give it a whirl, lemme know what you think.  I think you'll find it's a lot
more lenient.  (I hope it's not too lenient.)

Certainly *way* easier to pass. I'd even suggest using level 3. Level 2
passes "c00l!" (just barely). Would it be possible to kick up the relative
strength of the dictionary check a bit?

I found a big difference too. I have 4 or 5 passwords I use for my
"non-critical" logins, and on the old system (lvl 2) they got a mixture of good
& weak. On the new system they all get great on lvl 2 and good on lvl 3, so I
agree, maybe lvl 3 is just that little bit more friendly without sacrificing
too much security.

ROSCO