 General / 21833
Re: an old strange plate 8x4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:05:23 GMT

I forgot to mention that the (1963-65) 8x11 gray Cellulose Acetate  plate from the
Architectural series parts pack had the tube bottom, and not the waffle bottom.  -
Gary Istok

Gary Istok wrote:

I vaguely remember Bill Katz (a LUGNET user who has not been around lately - due
to a heavy workload) mentioning the existence of a gray plate with the waffle
bottom.  I think he said there was an airplane set that this came from (Samsonite
only?), but I don't know what set that was (I don't have the time to research
it).  Interestingly enough, the only other large CA gray plate that I am aware of
was (continental Europe only) from those 1963-65 Architectural Sets parts packs
(the hard plastic clear box version of plates packs 518, 519, 520, 521).  These
had an 8x11 (yes that is a strange size) gray plate as the bottom of the parts
pack box (where an 8x11(x4) clear plastic box fit over the top of.  These were
the parts packs for the shortlived Architectural series (1963-65) of sets - 750,
751, 752.

Clark, thanks for sharing that "LEGO anamoly" with us.

Gary Istok

Clark Stephens wrote:

These plates were only produced in Cellulose Acetate in the following sizes:
2x8, 4x8, 4x8 right curve, 4x8 left curve, and 6x8.  And they were only
produced in WHITE!  These waffle bottom plates were produced from circa 1956
until about 1965.

I have a grey waffle-bottomed plate http://home.att.net/~clarkster/L4x8G.jpg
don't know what year/set. It came in a big box of old stuff. It looks warped
like CA. Couldn't find a mention of it in this thread.

Thanks,
Clark