 General / 18564
Re: an old strange plate 8x4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 20:38:47 GMT

Domenico Franco skrev i meddelandet ...
I discovered in my LEGO collection a very strange plate: a plate withuot
tubes!!

I know the first LEGO plate was made in 1962 when the stud-and-tube system
was already used, so the question is: why is this plate wihout tubes?

view plate pics at:
http://www.geocities.com/domenico_f/lego/plateup.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/domenico_f/lego/platedown.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/domenico_f/lego/logo.jpg

I think the plates were made before 1962! Taking a look in my Idea Book from
1960(?), I can clearly see plates :-)
http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ideabook/index.htm

I don't know why the plates looks like this (square holes instead of tubs),
but that's how the first(?) plates looked. My old plates look the same. 4x8,
6x8 and 4x8 with rounded corner is what I have.

Mine must have been bought around 1960-63, I really don't remember exactly...

Perhaps they couldn't make such thin walls as the tubs need, out of the old
plastic. The tubs maybe appeared with the ABS plastic?

(I'm sure Gary Istok will tell us all about it :-)
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm