 General / 20228
Re: Newsserver downtime
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:25:04 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

The LUGNET newsserver was down for approximately 30 hours (as you probably
noticed) and is now back up and running.  (Actually, the newsserver itself
never stopped running and serving articles, but it did stop accepting
articles.)

The problem:  According to the server logs, the server was rebooted yesterday
(Monday) at approximately 2:25pm EST.  A stale lockfile in one of the
newsserver's control directories seems to have caused new incoming articles
to be put on hold (about 250 articles).  I'm not sure yet how or why the stale
lockfile appeared, but I also see a runaway load average about one hour prior.
Removing the lockfile caused all the queued-up articles immediately to appear
and the also caused the normal functioning of the newsserver to resume.

I apologize for not attending to this sooner.  I was picking up Suzanne (who
is not home and doing well) at the hospital yesterday afternoon and only now
tonight checked in online.  The problem only took about a half hour to diagnose
and fix.  In hindsight, I should have published an emergency phone number long
ago.

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
====================

In the event of an emergency relating to LUGNET, please call this number:

   617-489-7072

If no one answers, or if the line is busy, then call this number:

   617-970-3126

--Todd

Whew!!!!  I'm glad it wasn't me that brought it down.  I think my post was the last
one that posted before the downtime.

I once stopped rush hour traffic dead in it's tracks in the city center of Kulmbach
Germany when my sweaty parking ticket (from being in my back pocket all afternoon
on a hot German summer day) jammed the only parking ticket validation machine there
and caused hundreds of people from leaving the city center, until the parking
attendant opened the parking gates, and just waved everyone on thru.  How
embarassing.

Gary Istok
my new EMAIL ID is:  gistok@earthlink.net