 General / 20152
Re: Cracking Torsos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:09:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.general, Ed "Boxer" Jones wrote:

I changed arms on a bunch of newer style torsos (plain green, plain red and
Star Wars) over the weekend.  Removing the arms caused the torso to crack • from
the arm hole down to the waist.

Anyone else experiencing this?  Are they using thinner abs?

I've seen this occasionally, but usually on *older* torsos, not brand-new
ones.  So it's not a brand-new problem.

Maybe they've recently cut a new torso mold, and it has thinner sides than
the old mold?  Would TLC have more than one torso die-mold?

Steve

Actually, there are three torso molds-
Version one was from the introduction of the minifig to about 1979.  It has no
grooves on the inside of the torso.  I don't have any of these, but I've heard
about them.
Version two lasted from 1979 to 1999.  There are small grooves in the torso, to
keep the legs more firmly attached.  I have many of these.  This is the kind
that cracks.
Version two was introduced in 1998 and is found in current sets.  There is an
x-pattern in the torso, again for firmer attachment of the legs.  I have many
of these and I haven't had this kind crack yet.