 General / 19916
Re: Something I didn't know about LEGO...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:42:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Eric Kingsley wrote:
As many of you know I my wife and I are expecting our first child.  Well we
have started going to all our classes and on Monday we had our Infant and
Child CPR class.

This is one prepatory step I never would have thought of, but it's perfect.
Thank you!  I shall get my infant CPR up to speed when we expect our first
child.  (No announcements yet, sorry...  :-)

Don't worry too much pretty much the first time your wife visits the OB you get
all kinds of lists of things to do and that included more classes than I could
have ever thought of myself.

Just make sure you wife goes to the OB as soon as she can after you find out
she is pregnant.  As long as you have an OB worth their salt they will give you
all the information you could ever need.

Anyway as part of the discussion the nurse there pointed out that LEGO
Bricks (OK she said "Legos" and I didn't correct her ;-) are X-Ray
Transparent. Meaning that LEGO does not show up on X-Ray's if they have been
swallowed etc.  They say you can sometimes see the void made by the LEGO but
not the LEGO itself which makes it a bit difficult for them when a Child has
swallowed LEGO.

This is actually kinda scary.  Knowing how nigh-impossible it is to completely
child-proof a home, especially a Legomaniac's / toy fanatic's home, a toddler
is bound to swallow a Lego piece before long.  What other unusual precautions
do you think would be necessary, given the nature of the hobby?

Well I know I have moved 90 - 95% of my collection to the basement already :-(
We have an old house with a stone foundation.  The Basement is dry but not
really finishable by any streach of the imagination.  If we had 1 more room I
would take that but that room was/is the baby's room now.

I do still have some MOC's and the UCS sets in the main part of the house but
those that I can't keep out of reach will eventually find their way to the
basement as well.  Durring the summer its not bad at all to work down there.
It is well lit and comfortable.  It does get a might bit chilly in the winter
though.  So its Primo and Duplo for me for a while I think except when I can
sneak a little time in the basement durring naps etc.

It will be quite exciting in a few years though when I can share my collection
with my child thought :-).

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/