 General / 19954
Re: Something I didn't know about LEGO...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:26:54 GMT

I have a two-year-old.  Up until a couple of months ago, my Lego never
came out before her bedtime (Except for her Primo and now Duplo stuff).
Also, all Lego is well container-ized and put away (see my Brickshelf
gallery for pics).

In the last few weeks, I have started letting her play with some non-
Duplo stuff with supervision.  When doing this, I always make sure
she understands "Lego Rule Number One":

_No chewing on the Lego_

So far it is working out quite well.  Seeing me build with the Lego
stuff has even made her more interested in her Duplo bricks!

- Greg

Sproaticus wrote:

Eric Kingsley wrote:
As many of you know I my wife and I are expecting our first child.  Well we
have started going to all our classes and on Monday we had our Infant and Child
CPR class.

This is one prepatory step I never would have thought of, but it's perfect.
Thank you!  I shall get my infant CPR up to speed when we expect our first
child.  (No announcements yet, sorry...  :-)

Anyway as part of the discussion the nurse there pointed out that LEGO Bricks
(OK she said "Legos" and I didn't correct her ;-) are X-Ray Transparent.
Meaning that LEGO does not show up on X-Ray's if they have been swallowed etc.
They say you can sometimes see the void made by the LEGO but not the LEGO
itself which makes it a bit difficult for them when a Child has swallowed LEGO.

This is actually kinda scary.  Knowing how nigh-impossible it is to completely
child-proof a home, especially a Legomaniac's / toy fanatic's home, a toddler
is bound to swallow a Lego piece before long.  What other unusual precautions
do you think would be necessary, given the nature of the hobby?

Cheers,
- jsproat

Uh, two.  Including this one.

--

G. Crisp - gcrisp@mindspring.com

"Indian, indian, what did you die for?  Indian says 'Nothing at all.'"
-- Jim Morrison