 General / 19351
Re: Islander Woman
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:19:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:
Steve Bliss wrote:
Good point.  But if the generic and explicitly male minifigs have black
lips, then what do the red lips mean?

Cherry popsicles at snack time?

Probably! ;-)

Whatever.  I'm pretty happy with the general figs.  Less happy with the
snarly faces (the more snarly, the less I like them).  There are too many
sunglasses, and too much facial hair.  We need more smileys and simple
faces!

Steve

Agreed!  I prefer the generic smiley face to any others.   The more defined
the features are, the less one is able to project  a unique vision onto the
figure.

Yes, true. I like the faces with a *little* bit of details, such as the ones
with a moustache or a little bit of expression on their face. But the extra-
defined faces that come up OFTEN (e.g. Johnny Thunder, KK knight, WW bandit,
adventurers baddies) are NOT to my liking at all.
I've said this before, but I *do* like some well-defined faces that are rare
or come only in big sets... for example Ice Babe, *Princess* Strom (not Gail -
tho' I like her too), there aren't any good male examples (why? 'Coz the males
appear in every little set! Ugh).

Especially for a child a less defined figure is better imho.   Even
with a limited  number of figures totally different  things can be imagined
and  built and role played .  The child creates the vision as opposed to
being dictated to by the figure or figure face.

Yeah. Kids need to develop their own ideas.

[Please note, I am not
advocating we use pegs instead of minifigs.  I really like minifigs!]

<grin> Good, so do I. I love them, in fact!

What comes to mind right now is how seeing  the movie from a book first
somehow limits  one's picture/imagination upon reading the book later.
Seeing someone else's vision of  a story before one has had a chance to form
one for oneself?

Agreed.

Most AFOL have  enough minifigs for every mood and ocassion, so I feel they
are not dictated to by a defined figure/face.  They create the figure from
their vast array of parts...  and  they define the figure to fit their
story.

YES!! Exactly. I do, at least. For many minifigs, I created the character
first and *then* decided how it would look. Others, I created the 'fig before
the character, but even then sometimes the minifig was changed as a result of
the character development.
(Other times I feel like the *character* is dictating my story... but that's a
whole other issue ;-)

Still, for myself , I prefer the : )
maybe its just nostalgia?

Maybe... I like the smileys too, but I also like a *little* diffrentiation
that doesn't evolve from clothes... :-0

-Shiri