 General / 18154
Re: Set #148: Scales in Transition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 14:53:30 GMT

Eric McCarthy wrote:

Set #148:  Scales in Transition

This message is about Lego set #148,
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=148

This set from 1975 is interesting because it has
a mix of scales.  It was made during a time when
the regular sets represented many different
scales, as if the Lego company were trying to
decide what scale to settle on for the standard
play system.  This confusion seems to be captured
by the 148.

The regular sets of the mid-seventies had many
different scales.  There were sets with bendyarm
figures (aka maxifigs), some of which later used
minifigs as babies after minifigs became available
in 1975.  There were minifigs used as adults,
which were then still faceless, armless, and
legless.  And smallest, there were HO-scale
buildings with classic windows and classic 1x2x3
doors.  These different scales were not always
split out into separate themes, although there
were some themes that had consistent scales such
as the Homemaker sets.

The doors in particular were evidence of this
confusing period.  The classic 1x2x3 doors did not
open.  Then the Lego company introduced 1x3x4
doors that opened.  For example, set 361, another
interesting transitional set, has this door but
has no minifigs.  Then when minifigs were created
they did not fit conveniently through the 1x3x4
doors!  The 1x4x5 doors that minifigs fit nicely
through were not available until 1979, I believe.

The 148 combines three scales: HO-scale, pre-minifig
door scale, and minifig scale.  A classic door in
HO-scale is used for the entrance to the overpass,
and classic windows are used along the length of
the overpass.  The train station itself is sort of
in minifig-scale, but it uses the too-small
pre-minifig 1x3x4 doors so it isn't easy to move
minifigs around in it.  It comes with faceless
minifigs and the train tracks themselves are
roughly minifig scale.

Of course there have been other play systems made
by Lego that were in other scales.  Examples
include Duplo, Fabuland, Technic, Belville, and
Scala.  However, those themes were not designed to
be combined within a play system, and multiple
themes were definitely not combined within a
single set!

Another set that combines classic doors with
minifigs is set 362, also from 1975.  However, it does
not have any 1x3x4 doors.  I would be interested to
hear of any other Lego sets you know of that combine
multiple scales.  (Though if you reply to this
message, please don't quote the whole thing.)

/Eric McC/

Great Job Eric!!

Yes 148 (Central Station) is one of my all time favorite sets.  I was
lucky to find several of these sets in Germany in the 1980's.  It has a
wealth of white windows, and both types of older doors.  Universal
Building Set #400 - also from the 1970's - has this same classic
door/'70s door combination, but in yellow.  Another interesting footnote
is that I believe this set had the last (known) occurrance of the
classic 1x6x2 three pane windows (in white), one of my all time
favorites.  This 1x6x2 was a rare example of a "no window sill" three
pane window in white.  This "no sill" window type is much much more
common in red, and doesn't exist in any other color (I should say this
window with or without sill was not sold by LEGO in any other color).
These windows, and their fraternal twins - the classic 1x6x3 shuttered
windows - would soon be retired (as would the classic 1x6x3 picture
window, and the classic 1x2x3 doors).

The minifig "stiffs" as the armless little figs from 148 are called,
were produced from 1973-1977.  They were basically the forerunner to the
minifig.  During this period the 1x3x4 door was produced.  The two were
probably retired at the same time.

A sister set to #148 was #149 Shell Refinery.  This was another one that
I was always on the lookout for in Germany.   It is interesting to
compare these two sets.  They were both related to trains (they both had
the blue (non-electric) train tracks).  The 148 set had stickers only
(CENTRAL STATION, clock face, RESTAURANT, train station directions,
etc), while 149 had embossed bricks only (white 1x6 "Shell", white 1x2
Shell logo).  So in many ways, this was an era of transition.

I am also planning on using one of my set 148 "CENTRAL STATION" stickers
for the fascade of my new train station of the same name (an 18 story
Mediterranean Deco style building).

Gary Istok