 General / 18173
Re: Set #148: Scales in Transition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 21:33:22 GMT

Mark Koesel wrote:
So, anyway, I'd still say set 148 is interesting.  But not
because it has a mix of scales, but because it contains a mix
of design philosophies.

I agree, the changing philosophy was the driving force,
and the mix of scales is a consequence of that.

It is interesting that the changing philosophy was not
carried through consistently (e.g., with redesigned doors
that the figs fit through) when the stiffs came out.
It is as if the set designers themselves had not articulated
the philosophy, but rather were evolving towards it!

Later, all the sets with minifigs had 1x4x5 doors.
But set 148, with figs, had two different sizes of doors,
neither of which the figs could fit through.  Even that fact
alone, even ignoring the philosophy, makes 148 interesting.

So we can see 148 is interesting on many levels!

... TLC, does not seem to be concerned with scale, ...

Well, you can point to many examples of selective compression
and miscellaneous unrealistic things, but I think this assertion
is far off-base.  Most sets do try to keep the scales conceptually
similar within the same play system.  We don't see minifigs
on Belville-sized horses or Scala figs on System-sized horses.
And since 1979 we have not seen sets with minifigs that had
doors too small for the minifigs.  It makes them more playable
and it also makes them more appropriately scaled.  TLC *is*
concerned with scale since scale is an important aspect of
playability.

/Eric McC/