 General / 18167
Re: stiffs (was: Re: Set #148: Scales in Transition)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 19:14:17 GMT

Well you guys caught me.  Yeppers, 1975 was the year.  Here is the 1974 catalog
(German) shows lots of sets with the new doors, but not a stiff in sight (from
Horst Lehner's wonderful catalog website):

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk74/GK74-08.JPG

It is strange though, that they would produce doors (albeit 4 bricks high), but
no minifig stiffs to bump their heads on when going thru those too small doors.
The big head people didn't have any doors for their scale (not until the
Hospital or Schoolroom set had 1x6x10 doors a few years later).

Gary Istok

Mark Koesel wrote:

I think Gary may have been mistaken.  I think that the "stiffs" did not
actually debut until 1975.

"Eric McCarthy" <bendyarm@aol.com> wrote in message
Gary Istok wrote:
[snip]
The minifig "stiffs" as the armless little figs from 148 are called,
were produced from 1973-1977.  They were basically the forerunner to the
minifig.  During this period the 1x3x4 door was produced.  The two were
probably retired at the same time.

"stiffs" is a good name.  <smirk>

Are you sure stiffs and 1x3x4 doors were produced at the same time?
If they were, then one would think set 361 would have a stiff, since
it has a 1x3x4 door.  But it doesn't have a stiff.

What 1973-74 sets had stiffs?  The sets shown on Pause with
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?year=1973 or
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?year=1974
don't show any stiffs that I can see.

/Eric McC/