 General / 17954
Re: Anyone want hinge bricks from Lego Direct?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 01:59:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
"John J. Ladasky Jr." <ladasky@my-deja.com> wrote:
<CHOPSTER>
Which additional parts might people want?  I know, the train heads are
already clamoring for train doors and windows, and the skyscraper folks want
hundreds of other window types.  Cool, I might need some of those.  However,
I've got this urge to build angled walls using 1 X 4 hinge bricks.  You know,
this part...

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/3830.gif

... connected to this part:

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/3831.gif

...I would find the 1x4 hinge plate to be more useful in more situations than
its taller brick cousin (and the hinge is tighter, meaning forms hold position
better). but that may be just me  :-)

I agree that I could probably find a use for large numbers of hinge plates as
well.  But to they substitute in all cases for the bricks?  I think that it
depends what you're building.  If there is any stress in your angled wall, then
you probably want to use the bricks rather than the plates.

Starting with my octagonal building example -- suppose you're building a seven-
stud, 45-degree wall that "fits" along the underside of parts like these:

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/6106.gif
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/2401.gif

The problem is that the wall doesn't doesn't *exactly* fit.  The diagonal
spanned by going five studs over and five down is actually the square root of 50
studs, or 7.071 studs.  ABS stretches, though.  I have built this wall myself,
as has Ed Boxer...

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/9172/crown.html

It is satisfactory with two courses of hinge bricks to secure it.  Still, you
can certainly feel the strain when you begin assembling it.  And you can see
that the spaces between bricks allow a little light through them!

I would hesitate to build such a wall with the hinge plates -- they might break.

Followups set to lugnet.build.