 General / 17927
Re: Anyone want hinge bricks from Lego Direct?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 14:07:34 GMT

Dr. John,

You've got my attention.  I'll take 100 in each color.
They make for great multi-sided buildings, and buildings of odd angles.
I'll take any color they produce.

But I still want classic windows....

Gary Istok
"Representing the interests of the skyscraper folks"

John J. Ladasky Jr. wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I'm not posting this to the Lego Direct newsgroup at the moment.  Unless there
is a large amount of interest in this topic, this post will just qualify as
noise over there.

By now, most Lugnet readers have heard about the forthcoming Lego Direct service
-- however, just a few days ago I mentioned LD casually in a post and got a
response from another reader asking, "what's that?"  So, I'll summarize briefly.
Soon, we part-hungry AFOL will be able to order SOME parts in bulk lots (roughly
50 to 100 parts each, depending on the piece) from the factory.  There will be
approximately forty standard bricks, tiles and plates offered at all times.
However, additional parts will be offered at times.  These extra parts will only
be made if enough people commit to buying them.

Which additional parts might people want?  I know, the train heads are already
clamoring for train doors and windows, and the skyscraper folks want hundreds of
other window types.  Cool, I might need some of those.  However, I've got this
urge to build angled walls using 1 X 4 hinge bricks.  You know, this part...

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/3830.gif

... connected to this part:

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/3831.gif

To build (for example) a complete octagonal one-story building and have it hold
together reasonably well requires 16 hinges.  I do have 16 of these, but they're
all different colors.  To make a multi-story structure (and what AFOL doesn't
want to make something big!) would require many more.  I've checked some of the
reseller's sites.  Ouch.  Prices are $0.70 per assembly or higher, and nobody
has nearly the quantities I want.  I could clean everyone out and still not be
able to build what I have in mind.

These are pretty basic parts.  I can't be alone in wanting them.  If the price
was not unreasonable, I would be interested in ordering 48 (O.K., 50 if that's
the minimum) of these hinge assemblies in black, white, yellow, and blue, for
starters -- and if the LD basic-brick selection includes light gray and tan,
then I would want hinges in those colors as well.

My order alone probably won't convince the factory to produce the extra parts.
So I'm hoping that some of you folks out there will speak up and indicate your
interest in these parts.  When the offer comes, we can line up as a coordinated
buyers' club and get the parts made.  Let me know!

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology