 General / 155
Re: Lugnet's great signal to noise ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 08:24:36 GMT

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 07:09:40 GMT, "Linc Smith"
<ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> wrote:

Lugnet has removed the "unregulated" or "for the people by the people" air
that Usenet has.  Those who like the "you suck, no you suck, not you suck
more" threads are less likely to leave the Usenet system because of this.

"for the people by the people" does NOT necessarily mean "you suck, no
you suck, not you suck more" and I think that LugNET news server
points this out quite clearly. Mr. Lehman is quite open to comments
from everyone -- and he even listens and takes them into account!
To the point where I feel LugNET IS a for,to,by sorta deal.

However, when you get the other half of this is when immature people
come along and realize that they can take advantage of the system. I
STILL like Usenet's freewheeling nature. It was much better before
people started taking advantage of it.

These kinds of systems, though, always depend upon the good nature of
the participants -- people wanting to follow the rules, treat each
other with respect, etc.

Sarah
sarah@eskimo.com