 General / 131
Re: Lugnet's great signal to noise ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 07:09:40 GMT

Jesse Long wrote in message ...

I read 13 groups on Lugnet, and rarely download more than 40 articles in • any
given day.  I routinely get 80-120 messages from RTL, mostly mindstorms,
flamewars, and off-topic computer-geekese.  Here on Lugnet I get so little
of that, it's great.  But a question: are the reduced number of posts due • to
the separate news groups, or due to few people crossing over?  I notice • very
little cross-posting.

I am the same... 15 groups, and very manageable number of articles.  I
figure I will cut out some in a month or so... see where the off-topic
groups go?

*My* answer to your question: I think there is reduced number of posts, and
I think that not everybody from RTL has crossed-over, but so what.  Lugnet
has creamed the crop.  Like you said high signal to low noise.  Yes their
are less posts. The "mostly mindstorms, flamewars, and off-topic
computer-geekese" is missing (some of the good MS moved to robotics).

As Todd addresses the global accessibility problems and irons out kinks here
and there, there will be no reason *not* to read Lugnet.  I think that
Lugnet has removed the "unregulated" or "for the people by the people" air
that Usenet has.  Those who like the "you suck, no you suck, not you suck
more" threads are less likely to leave the Usenet system because of this.

Now before I get posts about how "Lugnet isn't a super structured
dictatorship"... I don't think there is any *real* reduction in freedom, or
ability to effect the direction of things to come with the move to Lugnet,
but there *is* an ability (used or not) to enforce common sense and widely
agreed upon rules.  This order makes me very happy, because I wouldn't read
RTL for the reasons you mentioned.  Now I can share Lego with someone other
than my girlfriend, who is tolerant at best.

LINC