 General / 1469
Re: New Theory on Holey Bags
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:58:01 GMT

Op een zekere dag, te weten Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:21:23 GMT, klom
blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) in het toetsenbord en schreef ons:

I haven't heard this possible explanation before...

What's the aspect of producing LEGO sets that has the potential of being
the more labor-intensive?  It's the manual sorting of pieces -- that's
why TLG spends a lot of money on expensive equipment to handle it
automatically.

Sometimes, plastic bags will burst if they are relatively filled with
air, and they are hit solidly.  If LEGO baggies were to burst, there'd
be a big mess on the factory floor, wasting time and money while the
mess is cleaned, and the parts are sorted.  Or, if the 'burst' parts
were thrown out, (and there was excessive bursting) there would be
production challenges because TLG would have to schedule more production
runs.

SO, the bags have holes to let air out.  That way, no burst baggies.

Steve

I still like the rip-stopping explanation better.  Or maybe that the
holes allow minifigs to breathe...

Good theorie, but I don't think that is the whole reasoning. Other products
are sold in closed bags, and won't burst lightly, like chips or popcorn. But
for those kind of closing, they first put the proper amount of air (or just
nitrogen, against oxydation) in the bags, then close it. At the Lego factory
they can do that too, of course. OTOH, just looking at this matter, what
would cost less? Bags that have holes (which have to be made extra), or
pressure-controlled bag-closing? Only TLG will know...

I just think the holes are for the minifigs and minihumans....

Ardjan

-----
Ardjan's YALP (Yet Another Lego Page) at
http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a8705125/ardjan