 General / 13884
Re: Cannons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:22:45 GMT

Pete Ryan wrote:

Hi all,

Hi, Pete!

    I am a returning Lego user.  I have just started to learn the fun of
lego after childhood (just turned 21)...  But I have a question, I just
bought set 3053 and in some pictures it shows a cannon that is able to shoot
(has the peg in the center)...But the cannon I got does not.  Did Lego start
doing this with all new cannons or is it just this set?  and why did they do
this...too many kids loose an eye?  Thanks!

The US sets do not have a shooting cannon included.  This has been true
for a long time - I'm not sure if the shooting cannons *were* ever available
in the US.

As I understand it, the cannons were not used over here, not because of
anything that happened because of LEGO, but because of another 'shooting'
toy - I forget which one, Micronauts maybe? - which hurt a kid.

I *may* have the following details wrong, because they are completely from
memory, but as I recall it, the kid stuck the whatever in his mouth,
accidentally fired off the missile, and choked to death on it. The parents,
desperate to blame anybody but themselves, decided on a lawsuit because it
was obviously the toy company's fault that they were too stupid to watch
their kid.

Memory places this at about the time The Empire Strikes Back came out,
because the Boba Fett figure was originally planned to have a firing
backpack missile, but it was fixed in place at the last minute because of
the potential lawsuits.

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m