 General / 12292
Re: What are the 10 worst pieces ever made by TLG?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:43:32 GMT

D. Jezek wrote:

I would say the worst pieces are those that can only serve one purpose and
cannon be re-used for any other purpose.  Examples of that would be:

1.  All pirate ship hulls
2.  UFO saucer plates
3.  that large front nose (canopy?) used on a metroliner and the flying time
vessel.
4.  Boats and canoes

This list points out that if we were to compile an overall list, many
parts should be left off because they are very good pieces in their
theme. In fact, in their place, I consider every one of the above pieces
very good, though I definitely have a love hate relationship with the
saucer sections. My large water tower would not look nearly so nice
without the saucer sections, on the otherhand, with the printing on most
of the saucer sections, they are hard to use.

In some ways, I think my #1 for bad pieces would be printed pieces which
severely limit their re-use. To this end, any piece with a logo is still
good since you can build other models using that logo (for example, I
have been buying Ice Planet printed pieces).

I would limit the worst pieces to those which truly can be made from
other pieces (or at least could have been made such - the juniorized car
underbody could have been just a new axle brick).

Pieces that I would not list as worst pieces because of their useability
in the right place:

- pirate ship hulls
- the metroliner nose canopy
- BURPs
- canoes, rowboats, zodiacs
- almost anything designed to be used with a minifig
- raised baseplates (1)

(1) While it would be nice to have bricks instead, the price of the sets
would skyrocket as you add several hundred pieces to the sets.

Now if we decide what pieces are bad based on how many you have sitting
around useless, my number one would have to be 2x2 studded wheels! Why
does every freaking Freestyle/Classic/Basic set have to have these?

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com