 General / 12174
Re: Sr. VP Justus of LEGO Direct.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:56:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Wilson writes:
James J wrote:

The LEGO Group (TLG) released models with less
detail and bulkier parts to make items simpler for small children in Europe.
However, it teaches the children of North America that we have to decrease • our
standards and limit ourselves based upon (from my understanding about • European
education) what European children should have already understood.

James, there was a long thread about this part of your letter when you
posted it originally, because you had MISUNDERSTOOD the statement on
which you based it and it has no basis in fact. While you were editing
your letter you might have fixed this part before sending it to Brad.

Kevin
--
Email: kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com
Web page:

     I'm sure that I probably did miss a big thread that developed when I first
posted this letter (in October).
     In my humble, but "war-weary" opinion, I really don't care what
continent's children the company belittles it self for. I just want them to
strive for perfection in some division that isn't Model Team or Technic.
In my decade (the 1980s), they actually tried to do good with all of their
greater than 5-yr.-old divisions. Even BASIC sets were appealing. Now, piece
shortcuts are being taken that do not serve any primary function. The #6525
Blaze Commander contains several pieces making up its (jacked-up) wheelbase
that #6327 Turbo Champs and others horribly try to build up in 1 piece, which
unfortunately makes it look less like a racing car or pickup. Even if its only
purpose is to haul the ATV around, there's no cause for it to be jacked up THAT
high. #1. Lower the wheelbase by about 1 or 2 plate-heights. #2. Give it
fenders and honest-to-goodness doors! All I ask for is all those little details
that gave LegoLAND vehicles (from 1982-1990) character be continued into
LegoSYSTEM. Only then can they be proud to give the Town system its own
commercials in America again (not just Star Wars, Rock Raiders, and various
Castle themes).
     James J.
(Don't just "play well", play better.)