 General / 1147
1146  |  1148
Subject:
Technic 1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 19:17:12 GMT

I live pretty close to the Lego Imagination Center at WDW so I went down this
morning to pick up a set and get the new catalog.  The scans currently posted
to LUGNET are a little blurry so here are my descriptions:

Tech Play:

8252 - Blue and white police vehicle with a Technic police figure (different
from the police fig in 8230).  This model is definitely a variant of 8226 (Mud
Masher) and has the same type of steering.  The are at least 6 or 7 parts I've
never seen before.

8246 - Black and yellow hovercraft-type vehicle.  I guess the U.S. finally
gets MicroTechnic.  This small set has a mechanism that spins the rear
propeller as you move it along the floor.

8247 - Red car.  Another set in the MicroTechnic fashion.  This one apperars
to have a single piston engine attached to the rear wheels.  The rear wheels
are normal Technic fare but the front wheels look like they came from the Lego
System parts bins.

8251 - Yellow and black motorcycle.  This small motorcycle is the best looking
of the new small Technic sets.  It features a swingarm-type rear suspension
with a single shock absorber.

Throwbots:

We've seen these pretty well in the first scans of the 1999 mini-catalog.
Nothing new here but there are a few inset photos of the parts including the
40t gears and new parts the are a half-gear (probably for the trowing
mechanism).  The motto of the Throwbots:  BUILD, SHOOT DISCS, TRANSFORM.

Cyberslam:

8269 - It's teal vs. magenta yet again in new flying machines.  These look
like they employ a rigid arm that swings back and forth under the vehicle.  I
can't tell if the figs are new or not.

8268 - A new small set that has a small plane for Locutus with a spring loaded
cannon on the front (like the ones from 8239).  The set also has two scorpion
targets that look like they are each a single part.

Tech Build:

8444 - Blue and black helicopter.  This looks like a two-seat Apache-type
chopper with the standard Technic helicopter mechanicals.  It doesn't look
like this set has the Flex-system rotor controls like the Nighthawk (8412).
There are several parts that look new including the ZNAPpy looking rocket
launchers along the sides.

8445 - Yellow and black F1 style car.  Looks a little like a smaller version
of the Formula Flash (8440) but has many of the newer Technic pieces
introduced over the past several years.  This model also has new ZNAP/Throwbot
style pieces along its sides.  The set has a mechanism that raises the engine
cover with a spring-loaded piece.

There is no sign of the rumored Ferrari supercar in this catalog but the
largest set shown (8445) is too small to be their "flagship" model for the
year.

Andy