 General / 11016
11015  |  11017
Subject:
Brick variations (was Re: Part variation noted)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:25:44 GMT

As my journey from the Dark Ages continues, I have noticed some
variations in the basic brick...

o Old CA bricks have the plastic 'tear off' (aka the umbilical) on one
of the short ends of the brick. Newer bricks (ABS) have the 'tear off'
on one of the studs. Then I got McDs promo set #8 the other day. A new
tear off point for the red 2x4: its dead square in the middle of the
top, between the center 4 studs. Since the McDs sets were assembled in
Europe (implied by the wording on the polybag), could this be a new
brick molding machine ?

o Get a big handful of 1x2's (I noticed this in Yellow ones). FLip them
over and examine the bottom. Some of them have a bridge across,
connecting the sides with the center post. Others do not. If you sort
them between those that do and do not, you will notice a distinct
difference in the resonance of the brick. A big pile of those without
has a higher, cleaner sound than those with the bridge.

o Look at the bottom of some recent 1x6 and 1x8 bricks. Many of these
have a new hollow post between the stud centers, while other are the
conventional solid post. I can only think of two posibilites, to reduce
ABS usage and to make the posts slightly more pliable when inserting.
Anyone have a better reason ?

Ray