 General / 10798
Re: Cool Pieces!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.scala
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 22:09:04 GMT

Shiri wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:
It was my daughter's birthday (12) yesterday and I got her the 3142 and
the 3144.  Wow!  What a lot of cool elements!  A desktop computer
(complete with mouse), wild tile colors (can you say 2x2 light blue?).
How about a 4x4x6 clear cyclinder water dispenser?  It really works!  My
favorite may be the lime green hair dryer-- looks like it may make a
good phaser of some sort...

I'm glad I have a daughter to justify buying these sets;-)

I was wondering how the scala baseplate works. It looks pretty weird. Does • it
have normal holes between flowers?

Having just played with the Scala kitchen I got from S@H, I'll shed some
light on the Scala "flower stud". This stud is normal height, but fills a
2x2 stud area. There is a circle in the center which a tube will fit over.
The result is that any brick or plate with an even length and width with
tubes on the bottom will fit.

Scala sets will be of limited use to most LEGO builders though. Much of the
furniture etc. in a Scala set are single piece elements (or made up of a
small number of pieces). While these pieces will interface to LEGO bricks,
the number of connections is limited.

The walls are interesting. They have vertical slots which can accept various
things (the kitchen has two cabinet units which fit in these slots). The low
wall units are 8 bricks high (as are the cabinets, which are 6x6x8).

The stove top is interesting, it is a 6x6 tile (printed) with a slightly
coarser finish (halfway between a roof surface and a normal tile). On the
underside however, it only has one tube in the center, surrounded by a 2x2
"wall".

Oh for those looking at colors, I think this adds a 4th "pink", more of a
peach... The green wall is also a paler green than the Paradisa baseplates.

Frank