 General / 10304
Re: Lego Insurance?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:55:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Karim Nassar writes:

I'm not sure which catagory this belongs in, so I figured it would be safe to
post it here.

I'm going to be moving soon and I'm getting renter's insurance.  Now, I've got
several items that are easy to insure at face value (my computer, stereo,
etc...) but I have two items that are going to be a bit tricky.  one is a
Japanese Sword that was hand-made for me by a swordsmith in Japan.  The other,
of course, is my Lego collection.  I want both of these to be insured as
specific line items.  I can get the sword appraised... The Lego is a different
story.

Has anybody run into this problem?  How did you solve it?  I've been
collecting since I was 4 yrs old, and nearly 1/2 of my collection was aquired
as yard-sale and flea market hauls, so I only know set numbers for maybe 30%
of the Lego I have.  My best guess as to the value of the collection is in
the neighborhood of $6000 - $10,000.  In order to recoupe the value if
anything (shudder) should happen, I need an "official" statement of the value
(something that I can potentially take to court if need be).  Any Ideas?

There was a thread on this not all that long ago:

  http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=8302

and a whole bunch of suggestions got made.  I recall someone saying that they
took several eBay auction results for sets they currently had to their
insurance agent as an indication of current value.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/