 General / 10195
Re: Cybermaster???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 12:48:43 GMT

Rachel Kingston <Kingston@spirit.com.au> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
FL3wnM.43t@lugnet.com...
If the Mindstorms has no instructions, would a 10 year old find it totally
overwhelming, especially one who had not had a lot of Technic experience?
Maybe in the beginning. *read below*

When you say there are no instructions, are there no starter tips or
ideas?
There are some basic robots to build and also some hints or tips which are
quite useful (=visual).

What is wrong with the software (ie extreme creatures, robosports etc)? Is • it
worth the money, ie does it give you capabilities otherwise unattainable?
With the RIS you get the basic software (ie for programming your robot).
Basically the expansion sets give you additional parts and more problems to
solve.

Sorry for all the questions, Mindstorms sounds brilliant, I want one, but • I'm
just trying to establish appropriateness for a 10 yr old new Lego user.

If there is more than one kid in the same family (and very keen adults) is • it
necessary to buy more than one, this is probably a dumb question, but I • 'spose
you need different computers for each? and if this is so, then how do you
program two robots to intereract, ie. child 1's robot, fighting it out • with
child 2's Is this attainable in any way? Or does each child have to take • it in
turns (so constant fighting for computer time?)
IMHO opinion the RIS is more or less a "together"-toy, not an "against" one.
You will only need one Computer, because you program the RCX in advance
through The IR-tower
(giving it a certain "behaviour"). The communication is through the IR and
kept simple (you can send numbers - the other robot has to interpret). If
you have gone so far you better switch from the Lego-software to a
programming language (like NQC).

I have printed out everything I could find on this from Lego's site, but • still
found it all a bit obscure? It sounded brilliant, but vague.
Is it overkill to buy this for a 10 yr old with virtually no Technic
experience? Is it important to have a lot of exerience with the more
challenging Technic sets, or is it attainable to learn Technic principles • in
conjunction with the RIS.
Yes and No. You have to get basic skills, but I do not think this is a
problem for 10yr olds. Just have a look for F. Martin's "The Art of Lego
Design", which gives you a lot of Technic-building basics (also some tips
which do not seem that obvious).

Is the Technic that comes with the mindstorms enough
to start with or are there Technic must haves that we should get at the • same
time? (All out Technic is restricted to very early Technic ie.all the • first
releases)
The parts which come with the Sets are enough for the beginning, but if you
want do some more complicated machines you have to buy additional sets or
service packs to get the pieces you need. There are some very good sets,
which provide a huge number of pieces....

Wih greetings from Vienna

Stefan