 General / 10173
Re: Cybermaster???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 22:47:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tony Priestman writes:
On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Rachel Kingston (<FL38zC.LDy@lugnet.com>) wrote at
14:16:24

Please could someone give me the lowdown on these sets, pro's and cons for
each etc, This would be very much appreciated.

The following comments are aimed at the products as they come out of the
box:

Conclusion: Cybermaster is a game based single use unit, ideal for 10-14
year olds, but severely limited in terms of versatility.

Conclusion: Mindstorms presents more of a challenge, but is probably
more rewarding in the long run. Because there are no instructions, there
is no *right* way of building anything, which I believe some people have
found unsettling.

I think the Cybermaster is highly over-priced for what is essentially a
'real' computer game.

Hope this helps.
--
Tony Priestman

Thanks Tony and Arjen :-)

If the Mindstorms has no instructions, would a 10 year old find it totally
overwhelming, especially one who had not had a lot of Technic experience?

When you say there are no instructions, are there no starter tips or ideas?

What is wrong with the software (ie extreme creatures, robosports etc)? Is it
worth the money, ie does it give you capabilities otherwise unattainable?

Sorry for all the questions, Mindstorms sounds brilliant, I want one, but I'm
just trying to establish appropriateness for a 10 yr old new Lego user.

If there is more than one kid in the same family (and very keen adults) is it
necessary to buy more than one, this is probably a dumb question, but I 'spose
you need different computers for each? and if this is so, then how do you
program two robots to intereract, ie. child 1's robot, fighting it out with
child 2's Is this attainable in any way? Or does each child have to take it in
turns (so constant fighting for computer time?)

I have printed out everything I could find on this from Lego's site, but still
found it all a bit obscure? It sounded brilliant, but vague.
Is it overkill to buy this for a 10 yr old with virtually no Technic
experience? Is it important to have a lot of exerience with the more
challenging Technic sets, or is it attainable to learn Technic principles in
conjunction with the RIS. Is the Technic that comes with the mindstorms enough
to start with or are there Technic must haves that we should get at the same
time? (All out Technic is restricted to very early Technic ie.all the first
releases)
Wow, I've outdone myself,  far too many questions........sorry!

Thanks for your help :-)

Rachel