 General / 10152
Re: Cybermaster???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:27:58 GMT

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Rachel Kingston (<FL38zC.LDy@lugnet.com>) wrote at
14:16:24

Please tell me if it sucks and why, to prevent me wasting my hard earned cash.
I was thinking of the cybermaster set AND the RIS, not either or. (one for
xmas, one for birthday,) but if the cybermaster set ie that bad then I'll just
concentrate on the RIS and additional sortware for it. (Extreme creatures
sounds very cool!)
Please could someone give me the lowdown on these sets, pro's and cons for
each etc, This would be very much appreciated.

The following comments are aimed at the products as they come out of the
box:

The Cybermaster unit has three sensor ports, two built in motors, and
one motor port. There is limited programming capability. Instructions
for several models are included on the CD *only*, not on paper, and
there is one downloadable program per model (ie into the mobile unit).

Having built the models, the main interest is in controlling them using
a joystick, via the radio tower connected to a serial port on your PC.

Conclusion: Cybermaster is a game based single use unit, ideal for 10-14
year olds, but severely limited in terms of versatility.

I *still* haven't opened my Mindstorms box yet, but here goes:

The Mindstorms RCX has three sensor ports and three motor ports. It's a
lot more programmable than the Cybermaster. There are no instructions
for building models, although you do get hints & tips.

Having built the models, which is a challenge in its own right, the main
interest is programming them to perform tasks. Programs are downloaded
into the RCX via the IR (infra-red) tower connected to a serial port on
your PC.

Conclusion: Mindstorms presents more of a challenge, but is probably
more rewarding in the long run. Because there are no instructions, there
is no *right* way of building anything, which I believe some people have
found unsettling.

I think the Cybermaster is highly over-priced for what is essentially a
'real' computer game.

Hope this helps.
--
Tony Priestman