 General / 10175
Re: Cybermaster???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:23:05 GMT

<gulp>

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Rachel Kingston (<FL3wnM.43t@lugnet.com>) wrote at
22:47:46

If the Mindstorms has no instructions, would a 10 year old find it totally
overwhelming, especially one who had not had a lot of Technic experience?

I've no experience of 10 year olds, but I would imagine some practice
beforehand might be helpful.

When you say there are no instructions, are there no starter tips or ideas?

Yes, there are tips, hints, and even pictures.

What is wrong with the software (ie extreme creatures, robosports etc)? Is it
worth the money, ie does it give you capabilities otherwise unattainable?

Can't comment on this one.

Sorry for all the questions, Mindstorms sounds brilliant, I want one, but I'm
just trying to establish appropriateness for a 10 yr old new Lego user.

The boxes all say 12 years & upwards, so I guess you'll have to judge
your son's technical ability. But see below.

If there is more than one kid in the same family (and very keen adults) is it
necessary to buy more than one, this is probably a dumb question, but I 'spose
you need different computers for each?

No, you don't need a different computer for each one. just make sure
that only the one you want to program is within range of the IR tower.
and if this is so, then how do you
program two robots to intereract, ie. child 1's robot, fighting it out with
child 2's Is this attainable in any way? Or does each child have to take it in
turns (so constant fighting for computer time?)

Always likely to be a problem :-)  As stated above, once a program has
been downloaded into the RCX, the unit is completely autonomous.

I have printed out everything I could find on this from Lego's site, but still
found it all a bit obscure? It sounded brilliant, but vague.
Is it overkill to buy this for a 10 yr old with virtually no Technic
experience? Is it important to have a lot of exerience with the more
challenging Technic sets, or is it attainable to learn Technic principles in
conjunction with the RIS. Is the Technic that comes with the mindstorms enough
to start with or are there Technic must haves that we should get at the same
time? (All out Technic is restricted to very early Technic ie.all the first
releases)

Yes. :-)

Can I suggest you get the Mindstorms for the grown-up, and see how the
children react to it?

There are some very impressive Technic sets available which would
complement the Mindstorms sets, and act as a primer.

Wow, I've outdone myself,  far too many questions........sorry!

You may want to point some questions at the .robotics groups, to which I
don't yet subscribe, so I can't be more specific.

Thanks for your help :-)

I ain't no expert :-)
--
Tony Priestman