 Gaming / Starship / 51
Re: The legendary Terran homeworld (Re: Prototype Starship Bible Work-in-Progress)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 22:59:20 GMT

Replies below...

I have the possibly unique situation of having a detailed history of my
homeworld (Valyance in the Val_Central Sector) that in no way includes any
mention of a place called "Earth" or a solar system of the star "Sol" or any
of the nine planets we are so familiar with in real life.

I understand that many of us have developed histories of our
Lego-Based-Fiction, and that such histories were in place before Starship
began.  I think this is wonderful.  However, if we want these histories to
still be used here in SS, we need to resolve how to handle common factors,
such as the term "Earth".  And note that we already have one Sector named "Sol".

Curt, Sean, I, and some others have already worked out the Earth/Sol
situation.  No problems there...

Here are a few possibilities/options I can think of:

1. Earth was a distant home of the ancients where Terrans orginated
(thousands of years ago).  Early settlers from there spread out, often lost
contact with each other, sometimes even evolved differently (if enough time
has passed), and now consider themselves separate societies, often unaware
of others until they meet them.

That's why I left most of Earth's history bare or in myth form.  Also, USC
scientists are uncovering that the entire Earth didn't blow up...only parts
of North America were destroyed and other parts of the planet damaged, but
thanks to the terraforming efforts of the ULF (Curt), Earth is now
inhabitable again.

2. Earth was a recent (within 1000 years) home of the forefathers.  Settlers
spread out, but not enough time has passed to really forget about Earth or
about the other Terran factions that are out there.

In one of my storyline's wars, Terrans from the United Planets of the
Generian Government came to attack the LSA.  They never originated from
Earth.  Unfortunately, the LSA commited genocide of them.  :)

3. Earth was just another of many settlements of homo sapiens.  The true
origins of the species are elsewhere.  Some Terrans come from Earth, others
may not.  So some might be familiar to some and not to others.

Thus is why I described broadly a myth of the origin of the Terrans: Adam
and Eve.  (I believe this in real life, but this isn't a place for religious
discussions.)  Keep in mind it's only a myth and other Earth-born factions
may have different views.

4. Earth is, for some reason, a common word in human language and societies
everywhere named their ancestral home Earth.  By this process, each society
is actually referring to a different planet.

Possible...

5. No one really know where Terrans originated.  Each society has their
"history", but when it comes to the parts about species origin, that history
is more myth and legend, such that no one society is absolutely correct.  By
this means, there could actually be the Space equivalent of holy wars, where
groups fight for what they believe is the true history.  (I wouldn't want
this theme to dominate the game, but it might make for an interesting
backdrop to some adventures).

Like this idea, I truly do...the USC may think Earth is their home, but the
faction of A may think the planet they call Earth is their home and the true
origin of humans.

6. Some combination of the above, such as #5 and #4, where the different
beliefs of #5 have actually led different societies to give the name Earth
to different places, so that #5 results in #4.  (Did I lose you there?)

Also another possibility.

Any other possible ideas?

Read my newer posts.

Personally, with my Valyancian ideas, it would be best for me if we include
some aspect of either #1 or #3, wherein my people have no knowledge
whatsoever that they didn't come from Valyance.  The only reason they would
even begin to consider that they didn't is the sudden and recent realization
that there are other Terrans (some of them more advanced) in other sectors
of the Galaxy.

It's quite possible they didn't come from the Earth I speak of.  Whoever
created Terrans might not have created them just on one planet.

-Hendo

~Dan