 Gaming / Starship / 402
Re: Ship Registry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 04:34:59 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote worthily on enthusiasm for improving the Registry.

Mmmmmm. I get this.

With 58 ships, the list is always going to be a bit scary.

I have tried to list them in the main list in alphabetical order by ship name (ignoring fleet/organisation and numerical prefixes). If there are errors in this, please let me know.

I guess I have thought that when coming to the list, its either the player name or the ship name that one would know.

Beyond the two tocs, the actual page had registry entries are grouped by player and I am adding vessels to players in crew size order. In due course all the ships will be ordered thusly. I settled on crew size because it seemed to only rliable indicator of size.

I understand the idea of listing by class, but I do note that on close inspection of the actual entries, this might be tricky. Different players seem to have different ideas of what generic vessel class names mean, and there is some crossover between class and role. We could publish some class definition guidelines. Mind you, its surprisingly difficult as it is just capturing the dozen or so details we need, let alone trying to mandate some class definitions that will have little resonance for some players.

A basic list only supports one nested grouping system (we use players). If we wanted to actually group the list differently, we need multiple lists, which is wholly ugly from an administrative point of view.

I do note that anyone can make and publish their own index page, and deep-link it to the tags in the registry. I move the vessels about in the list sometimes, but never change the tags. In terms of updates for these other indexes, I do post the details of new ships here with their deep links when I update, so this might not be too scary.

In any event, I am waaaaay open to other ways of thinking about this...