 Gaming / 818
Re: Request for Pirate Game thoughts and Player/Ship/Captain names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:19:12 GMT

- Again, I really should have had a 2nd GM. Next year I will listen to
that advice and not feel bad about a player not being able to play. I
will need to spend some pre-game planning time (some over the net) with
the chosen GM to compare enough gaming pholosophy and ideas about the
scenario islands (the large islands with something special going on on
them).

    Hoo, yeah - you need a second GM, Actually, I'm thinking of having about
4 next time I play - an uber-ref (me), a sutler, a combat ref (I can only be
in one place at a time!) and a ship ref (in charge of playing imperial and
merchant ships)

- We didn't have enough ports

    How many did you have? I had 4 (one for each compass point) and it
worked well. I had Spanish, French and English ports + a pirate port which
would always be neutral towards players and was easier to recruit crew from.
It made playing merchant ships easier too as you could just roll a couple of
dice to see which port they came from and which port they were heading to.

- Again, I managed to make one scenario island way too tough. I need to
think more carefully about how hard to kill undead should be. Another
scenario island never got touched because no one wanted to tackle 20 or
30 islanders.

    Which undead were you using? I haven't tried mummies yet but I generally
make skeletons immune to firearms (except cannons). Not sure on ghosts
either - maybe some sort of paralyse attack...

- I only got two merchant ships out, plus one player (well two players,
Larry Pieniazek took the ship over later) played an imperial ship (I
don't think this worked out too well, I won't have a player do that
again

    A seperate ref to run the NPC ships is useful. An experienced player can
do this and it's not that much different from playing.

        Steve