 Gaming / 828
Re: Request for Pirate Game thoughts and Player/Ship/Captain names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:37:47 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Steve Burge writes:
4 would have been overkill for our game. A ship ref would have been
helpfull.

   Actually, a sutler ref is incredibly useful as I found Sutlering slowed
the game down immensely. Effectively once a ship is docked at port I rule it
'out of play' and the player can then talk to the sutler and sort out
financial stuff. Once they've finished they get to turn their ship to any
facing and join the game at the start of the next turn.

   And a sutler can can always run a couple of merchant ships if there's
nothing for him to do (Actually, I had my sutler preparing merchant
ships/fleets for me to take out)

Yea, those are possibilities. One of my thoughts though was to simplify the
suttlering. So that a few moments are needed to tell the player what ships are
available (and if there's anything special about them) and then to tell the
player what you'll give them for the treasure etc.

What kind of space do you play in? How many turns did you run? Taking • several
turns to make a run into port and then back out is a significant portion • of a
27 turn game. Having to go clear across the board is prohibitive.

   Ooh, I'm trying to remember now. I think the first time I ran I had 18'
by 12' (My living room with the furniture taken out :), The second time was
closer to 15' x 15'. I'm not sure how many turns we got in - probably about
15-20.

   It did take a while for a merchant to cross a sea though and crossing
all the way across did take time, but that gave the players something to do
(Only one made it all the way across though). I only managed to bring three
merchants and one warship into play during the whole game though.

How much suttlering did you have? We only had three ships make port, and only
one took much time at all (Lindsay who was able to trade up on ships).

I've used skeletons which get a save vs small arms, and mummies which got • a
save against any attack (other than a cannon - less of a save against
sabre).

   Cool. Although they should be killable by fire as well (D&D training
creeping in there...).

Hmm, probably (hey, don't want to give ALL the secrets out...)

Frank