 Gaming / 812
Re: Request for Pirate Game thoughts and Player/Ship/Captain names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:12:08 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:
- Again, I really should have had a 2nd GM. Next year I will listen to
that advice and not feel bad about a player not being able to play. I
will need to spend some pre-game planning time (some over the net) with
the chosen GM to compare enough gaming pholosophy and ideas about the
scenario islands (the large islands with something special going on on
them).

   For BrickFest, I'd be happy to do it full-time.  If we do
   have a PirateFest this fall (and I do hope we do), we may
   not need more than one full-time GM (we may not even need
   one, if we play the Fleet game).

I think a GM is still a good idea for a fleet game. I'm hoping that if
we manage Piratefest that we can still muster 8-10 players. A fleet game
though certainly wouldn't require as much GM involvement since there
isn't much to do for sailing into port and converting booty to useful
stuff.

- We didn't have enough ports, as a result, the player who put his
captured ship into play kept two ships in play because it was
prohibitive to sail to a safe port (the closest port was the one the
ship was heading too, not a good place to go, and the wind was
unfavorable for going anywhere else for a few turns).

   I'm not sure it should be against the rules to keep two ships
   in play, although a primary would have to be chosen, and the
   possibilty of the second ship going AWOL and sailing away
   should be kept very real unless the crew is sufficiently awed
   by the Captain's reputation and/or bought off with lots of
   extra booty.

The rules aren't totally clear on prizes. It does seem like you
shouldn't go sailing around with two ships forever though (unless you
get a "totally loyal" pirate who then can operate a 2nd ship
independantly).

I think I need to sit down and ultimately work up my own role playing
rules. Steve's are a good start, but there's a lot which is clearly only
in his head, plus I think they need to reflect the style of the GM
running the game.

- I only got two merchant ships out, plus one player (well two players,
Larry Pieniazek took the ship over later) played an imperial ship (I
don't think this worked out too well, I won't have a player do that
again [it was his choice, I should have thought more about the impact of
that choice]). Larry did manage to take over a pirate base (well, not
quite, but he was one or two turns away from doing so, with no pirates
in sight for a rescue), but the base was probably under defended (bases
shouldn't be able to be taken over by the 10 crew of a starting ship).

   This had the potential to be very, very entertaining--Larry
   might have lost his ship but gained a port, thus becoming a
   merchant, and having a chance to put his economic philosophy
   into practice.  I know that I'd have visited!  :)  On the
   other hand, he might also have been forced to put rowboats
   into service as Pirate ships, a very odd prospect...

Larry was actually in no danger of losing his ship. There was only one
pirate left in base, and neither of the two cannon were manned by
pirates (one was actually in Larry's hands).

   Perhaps we need rules for salvage of ships in the shallows--if
   they're sunk within a few inches of islands or ports, to allow
   for recovery of cannon, treasure, equipment, or even the ships
   (if the port has some kind of crane).  I know that such rules
   would only come into play every so often, but it might make losing
   a ship close to a port less devastating.

Probably not really worth it, most ports will have several ships, and
the owner of the ship would be pretty unlikely to be able to continue
even if their ship was salvageable. I'd be inclined to handle it as a
special case if a pirate who actually had enough wealth to recover lost
his ship in such a situation.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com