 Gaming / 832
Re: Request for Pirate Game thoughts and Player/Ship/Captain names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:40:29 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:

I think in future games I'm going to do more to determine what the
resources of each port actually are. I think there should be some
capability of attacking a base, but it should be hard (if any of you are
familiar with Avalon Hill's Blackbeard, you will see an example which I
_don't_ like, that game makes one of the most profitable activities once
you have a large ship being to sack ports - I don't think that much
sacking actually happened in real life).

There are quite a number of instances of ports being sacked, though more of
it was by "privateers" as a form of stealth national warfare rather than
individual pirates.  With the exception of a few truly spectacular prizes,
sacking ports was the most profitable thing a pirate could do (few could).

It should probably be there, but provisions for the local populace carting
off their valuables should also be there since that is what often happened.

Bruce