 Gaming / 793
Re: Brikwars in different scales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 02:53:11 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Mike Rayhawk writes:
as the rules are shaping up they
should work for any type of strategic-level engagement and the new crew and
ship ops rules look like they'll work work especially well for pirate fleets
on the high seas.

Wow, that's even more detail than I was expecting.  Structurally, how would
the rules fit within BW 2000?  Or would this suppliment be geared for a
future release?

The supplement should be pretty release-independent, I don't see anything
that would keep it from fitting even with bw98 or earlier.  But it's on low
priority until 2001 is done.

In a similar vein, I was looking at Stephen's Minifig Death and how it
relates to Brikwars.  The fact that Brikwars can be pared down into such an
optimized ruleset is quite impressive.

MFD is a great idea, BW definitely needs to be able to 'scale down' more
gracefully to that level of directness and transparency.  With that in mind,
I've added some optional rules to the Troopers' Arsenal and Vehicles
chapters for simplified and streamlined handling of hand weapons ("Quick and
Dirty Armament") and vehicles ("Timmy-Mobiles").  Siege Weapons are slated
to get similar treatment.

Hopefully one day I can slap together a 'BrikWars Abridged Version' that
packs the most important stuff and leaves the minutiae to the main volume.
I haven't figured out where best to draw the lines though.

Really, anything past Chapter One
can be viewed as a suppliment...  Which begs the question -- do you feel
that any of the rules in Chapter Two onward are absolutely essential for BW
gameplay?

I don't think there is a single rule in the book that I could point to and
say it was absolutely essential.  There are plenty that obviously aren't of
course.

I like these scales, in that they offer a good standard within which to
build.  Though I have one issue with this:  an inch is already defined.
While the 4-or-5-studs-equals-one-inch rule works well since 5 studs measure
approx. one inch, I wonder what confusion may come up when using a
1-stud-equals-one-inch rule?

Five studs come to over an inch and a half.  There's not really any great
way to convert between inches and studs, and so I don't figure the confusion
that comes up when using a 1:1" ratio will be any more than when using any
other ratio.  BW inches are not necessarily related to real-world inches
(see "Inch" defined in the Game Terms glossary in 0.3.2).

I feel that it's probably sufficient, in any
given scale, to state that this weapon has a range of 5 inches (or 25 studs
if you're using bricks to measure with), and that unit can move two inches
(or 10 studs), etc., and thus toss out some potentially confusing midgame
ratio calculations.

In a case like that it doesn't seem like there would be any effective
difference between one scale and another, apart from cosmetics.

1.  I can see a battlefield scattered with 2x4 plates carrying squads of
homocidal stickfig (2) warriors, ready to smash into each other...  :-,
Homocidal?  Are you sure that would be politically correct?

Well...they're there in case politics fail.  ;-)

I know that jokes about spelling are the lowest form of humor, but trying to
picture a regiment of 'homo'-cidal stickfig warriors, and the homosexual
stickfigs they are determined to destroy, cracks me up.  What would that
entail?  If Legos were homosexual, does that mean they'd try to connect
stud-to-stud instead of stud-to-hole in the natural fashion?  Lego society
would fall apart!  (And if it wasn't the lowest form of humor before...!)

- Mike.