 Gaming / 779
Re: Brikwars in different scales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:24:47 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Has anyone experimented with playing Brikwars in scales other than minifig?
e.g. using microfig-scale mecha (1) or nanofig-scale starships, etc.  Think
Warhammer 40,000 Epic, Battlefleet Gothic, Renegade Legion, Battletech, etc.

We're working on rules supplement involving both microfig and nanofig
scales, they've been in development for a couple months but are still maybe
a year from being production-ready.

They're being built around the idea of having a starfleet battle in which
the fleet movements are handled in nanofig scale while the action in the
interiors of the most important ships are handled in microfig scale, so
they're getting bundled with a bunch of other new rules for crew operations
and capital-scale ship handling.  The whole supplement primarily started
taking shape thanks to the combined inspiration of some of your stickfig
images and Dan Jassim's carriers, but as the rules are shaping up they
should work for any type of strategic-level engagement and the new crew and
ship ops rules look like they'll work work especially well for pirate fleets
on the high seas.

I was thinking of this as I was reading the rules, and it seems that the
biggest issue would be for the players to agree upon distances for movement
and ranged combat.  Not that big of an issue, really.

Microfig/stickfig scale seems to work out pretty neatly at one dot equals
one inch, although there don't seem to be any strong standardizing factors
where nanofig scale is involved.  One dot equals five inches is nice because
it puts the height of a single story right about at the thickness of a
single story in a minifig building, and it's an easy multiple for
calculating ranges.  In bizarrely large battles the scale could be extended
even further without disrupting the existing rules too much.

Then, of course, there would be special rules, e.g. for carriers and
fighters, boarding parties, etc., but these would really be unit-specific
rules, right?  And as far as special mecha rules go, well, mecha tend to
have roughly the same attributes as a person anyhow, just on a different
scale...

I don't see how any of these would really need to be special rules - they
could just be handled the same as they would normally, taking the smaller
scale into account.  The only trick is in handling conflicts within ships
whose interiors haven't been modelled.

Mecha would probably still have to be designed from scratch, since their
performance should be able to vary widely and they won't all necessarily be
person-shaped.  I do like the idea of using minifigs as mecha in a microfig
setting.  Or even in a nanofig setting, if we're talking giant Bryce
McGlone-scale mechs.

I'd love to hear if anyone's played with anything like this with Brikwars or
any other brick-based wargame rules, and how any scale-specific nuances were
handled.

You and me both!  I'd love to hear from anyone who has ideas on this subject
(either here in fun.gaming or e-mail me at rayhawk@artcenter.com).

1.  I can see a battlefield scattered with 2x4 plates carrying squads of
homocidal stickfig (2) warriors, ready to smash into each other...  :-,

Homocidal?  Are you sure that would be politically correct?

2.  And yes, this might be interpreted as a shameless plug for my
stickfig-scale mecha, so I'll refrain from posting the obligatory URL...  :-,

Yeah, the last thing we need is people shamelessly plugging their URLs
around here.

- Mike.

http://www.brikwars.com