 Gaming / 644
Re: Improv-ed Medieval BrikWars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 08:56:28 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Tim Courtney writes:
"Shiri Dori" <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Wouldn't it be something if you could use BrikWars to determine the
fates of clashing CW empires?  It's almost hard to imagine.

Well, I think that could be cool for a different kind of org. A lot of
people lately have been talking about combining CW and PBBs, but I'm not
sure that's what CW is all about. CW is not by far limiting any other orgs
from forming, and it would be cool to have a different org running RPGs or
PBBs as a method of determining empires' fates.

You could keep CW as it is essentially, but mirror the CW universe and have
it played out in a series of Brikwars games where CW participants are
present.  If a few CW bigheads want to get together and decide territories,
BW games register with them and decide where they are and what battles will
play out, you can have a 'living breathing CW' with the BW games.  I think
that would be pretty interesting.  CW 'itself' wouldn't be essentially
damaged by results, then (because the BW universe is just a mirror of the
'real' CW).  Thoughts?

I don't see how CW would be 'damaged' if some of its members decided to let
a chapter or two of their respective stories be determined or influenced by
the events that occur within a wargame... of course, they would have to be
careful about how they played the game; diplomacy and role-playing would
become more important than numbers and rolling dice.  Both players would
have to work to remember that the point is in creating a compelling
storyline, not in who wins or loses, and to that end inconvenient die rolls
might have to be overlooked.  If the results of the game ended up detracting
from the story, they could be edited or conveniently forgotten.

Important characters could be 'knocked out' or 'captured' rather than killed
outright, allowing the opportunity to create a story of their daring escape.
On the other hand, characters who risked actual death would have a far more
legitimate claim to heroism.

I like the idea as an experiment; I realize most CW folks probably prefer to
have total control of their stories and leave nothing to chance.  On the
other hand, I don't see how it's that far different in principle from
character-crossovers between CW realms: two people work together to develop
their story by alternate means, each giving up a certain amount of creative
control, ending up with a more dynamic element for their story.

- Mike Rayhawk
Devil's Advocate / Lugnet Member #666