 Gaming / 556
Re: A question about BrikWars robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:28:14 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Mike Rayhawk writes:
No problem, but I have to object.  Giving everybody new and better ways to
avoid being productive isn't necessarily a service to the community.
  Um, no comment.  :-)

I'm also going to try and put in some fancy Javascript calculators so you can
just type in desired stats and it will cost everything out automatically.
  Neato!

Ha ha, this is great stuff, but I think I'll save energy shielding for when we
write the Spacefleet Battles supplement.  I'm going to try and wait to add any
new sections to RV until we've got it more consistent and less confusing.

But, don't feel discouraged from using energy shields in your own battles,
these rules look pretty workable.
  Ok.  Un-official supplement.

The shield can be overloaded.  If it takes more than n*AV damage in a
single turn, it will fail.  It then takes damage via the sub-system ker-pow
table.  I haven't decided what n should be.  I'm thinking, 2-3.  Or maybe
scaled based on TL.  TL - 3?
If you don't mind a little extra bookkeeping, maybe you could do it like this:
whenever n>1, the shield loses (n-1)*d10 from its AV, recovering 1d10 per turn
afterwards.  "Captain!  Shields down to 37 percent!"
  I was really trying to avoid bookkeeping.  I was trying to follow the spirit
of the combat system.  You survive the attack or you die.  I toyed with a hit
point like system and discarded it because of bookkeeping.

Shields would be TL5 or higher only.  Additionally, an attacking weapon • from
a higher TL force ignores shielding.  Their weapons are able to circumvent • it.

Energy weapons might be able to circumvent the shields, but physical attacks
probably wouldn't.  (If we ever get Spacefleet battles done, this will be
dependent on having a Science Officer on board).
  Again.  I was just trying to keep it simple.  I think I might drop this rule
all together on RV style shielding.

I can't remember who I was talking with about shielding a few months ago, but
we were talking about making two additional types of shields: deflectors, for
physical projectiles and attacks, and energy shields, for energy-based
attacks, each of which would be cheaper and less Power-intensive than generic
shields which covered all types of attacks.
  That was me.  I think it would add too much complexity for this.

Shields add 1 blox of weight to the vehicle.
You might want to make weight vary depending on the power of the shield and
the size of the protected area.  If you wanted, you could cover your vehicle
with multiple generators protecting smaller areas rather than a single
generator protecting the whole vehicle.
  I like this idea.  I think I'll add a constraint that a given generator can
only cover so many blox.  I think I may need to tune the cost and energy based
on this.  I'll think about it.  But then again, I'm thinking about this for
robots.  They shouldn't be that big.  Hmm.

He should be able to swing the axe if he's on the inside of the shield radius.
  I meant to imply that.  However.  A minifig would be hard pressed to swing an
axe in 1" of space.

[power consumption]
That's a good idea, I think I'll change the Cloaking Device rules to do the
same thing.
  Glad you like it.

You'd definitely have to make some decision about how and when the shields
could be activated, deactivated, or set to something in between - probably
only at the beginning of the unit's turn.  Secondly, you might want to allow a
modification to the shields which let you concentrate shielding to one side -
allowing you to sacrifice aft shielding to give yourself double forward
shields, for instance.
  I'd like to try to avoid the complexity of forward vs aft and such.  If I
decide to go with area limits, this can be used to similar effect.  I was
thinking that shields were on or off.  No 37% mess.  Changing them would occur
during a unit's turn.  Weapons can be fired out through shields.

    Thanks for the input,
     Gino A...