 Gaming / 549
Re: A question about BrikWars robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:10:23 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Gino A. Melone writes:
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Jason Rowoldt writes:
Whenever I use the RV supp to make a robot, it seems to go
about 30+" / turn.
I have to tone this down by about 1/2 to make it reasonable (ground
stuff should not go as fast as flyers).

There are supposed to be maximum speeds for each propulsion type,
but it looks like I forgot to put them in.  For ground propulsion, the max
speed is TL x 4".  I'll fix that when I do the next site update this weekend.
Robots can exceed their maximum speed if they use booster jets,
however.

The mech I'm fielding tonight has a 32" movement (using torso
power) and a 20" jump (using combined legs).

Leg propulsion is based on the power of the weakest leg.

The jump seems high, but 5" (using torso power), seems way
too low.  Using leg power for movement would be ridiculous.

The 5" one is probably correct, I figured most robot legs aren't really
optimized for jumping and so I didn't give them a lot of jump power.  You
can either add some jumpjets or just change the rules if they don't make
sense for your particular robot.

TL6 mechs have a lot of power.  I'm not sure if this is unfair or not.
This rather small mech is fast, but fairly expensive.  With a single
MkII laser, he works out to about 95CP.

If you want to see some of our example mech budgets, look at
http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/examples/templar.htm

I apologize for the fact that the robot rules aren't as clear as they could be,
we haven't been getting a lot of player feedback on them until just lately.
I'm probably going to give them a good edit during the next couple weeks
(I finally have some time off after semester finals!), but I won't get to it
until I've finished revising the Siege Weapons rules and updating all the
fan links.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make the RV supplement more
playable or easier to understand, I always appreciate suggestions at
rayhawk@artcenter.edu.  One of these days I'll finish converting them into
HTML, I think it will help a lot when I can put graphics and diagrams in to
support the text.

- Mike Rayhawk.