 Gaming / 552
Re: A question about BrikWars robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:04:34 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Mike Rayhawk writes:
There are supposed to be maximum speeds for each propulsion type,
but it looks like I forgot to put them in.  For ground propulsion, the max
speed is TL x 4".  I'll fix that when I do the next site update this weekend.
Robots can exceed their maximum speed if they use booster jets,
however.
  So, 24" for TL6 mechs.  That sounds reasonable.

The mech I'm fielding tonight has a 32" movement (using torso
power) and a 20" jump (using combined legs).
Leg propulsion is based on the power of the weakest leg.
  That sounds good.

The jump seems high, but 5" (using torso power), seems way
too low.  Using leg power for movement would be ridiculous.
The 5" one is probably correct, I figured most robot legs aren't really
optimized for jumping and so I didn't give them a lot of jump power.  You
can either add some jumpjets or just change the rules if they don't make
sense for your particular robot.
  Most of my mechs have legs which should be able to jump well.  Especially the
spider and scorpian designs.  I'll think about this and let you know what I
come up with.

If you want to see some of our example mech budgets, look at
http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/examples/templar.htm
  I'll take a look.

[delays in update]
  That's cool.  Just having the rules, and access to you for questions, is
great.  Thanks for the service to the community.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make the RV supplement more
playable or easier to understand, I always appreciate suggestions at
rayhawk@artcenter.edu.  One of these days I'll finish converting them into
HTML, I think it will help a lot when I can put graphics and diagrams in to
support the text.
  That will probably help.

  Writing up what's below, made me think of another question.  I've assumed
that a robot limb has the same AV as the torso.  Correct?  Thanks.

  I've been thinking about energy shielding.  And I think I've worked out a
proposal.  This is based on the assumption that you are using the robot rules
to spec your vehicle, but it could be retro'ed to standard vehicle rules by
copying one chart from the robot rules.

  It goes like this: Maximum AV for a vehicle (including energy shielding) is
the same as in the chart in the robot rules.  7d10+4 for TL6, is the only one I
remember off-hand.

  Some of that AV can be bought as energy shielding.  Energy shielding takes
hits before the physical mech does.  The energy shielding provides a specific
AV.  For example, 3d10.  So, the first 3d10 of damage from a strike is absorbed
by the shield.  Anything left over, passes through to the body.  Similar to how
an obstacle absorbs damage, but can be shot through.

  The shield can be overloaded.  If it takes more than n*AV damage in a single
turn, it will fail.  It then takes damage via the sub-system ker-pow table.  I
haven't decided what n should be.  I'm thinking, 2-3.  Or maybe scaled based on
TL.  TL - 3?

  Shields would be TL5 or higher only.  Additionally, an attacking weapon from
a higher TL force ignores shielding.  Their weapons are able to circumvent it.

  Shields add 1 blox of weight to the vehicle.

  The shield generator must be represented by PBBs on the vehicle.  The shield
generator has to have a direct line-of-fire from outside the vehicle.  It
doesn't have to be horribly exposed.  But, there does have to be a line-of-fire
from somewhere.  It could be in a well on the underside of a walker.  But, it
couldn't be entirely inside the unit.

  Shielding protects the entire vehicle and all weapons.  Additionally it
protects an area which extends 1" from the vehicle in all directions.  So, a
fig riding on the vehicle may be protected.  Slow moving objects (things which
won't do damage) ignore shields.  So a fig can walk up and grab the vehicle.
But if he tried to swing an axe at it, he'd face the shield.

  Shields consume 1 power per 3 AV.  That is consume.  Since they are
constantly generated, that power is not available to weapons or propuslsion.
However, if the shields are off (intentionally or damaged) the power is
available again.

  A vehicle must still have the minimum 10AV in conventional armor.

  Cost.  Conventional armor ends up costing 1 CP per 20AV.  I think shielding
should cost a good bit more.  Say, 1CP/5AV.

  That's sounds like everything.  Comments?

         Later,
          Gino A...